East Neuk Episcopal Churches

More about St Michael's


When Elie and Earlsferry developed as a major holiday resort in the later years of the 19th century, Summer Mission services were held from time to time, and in 1904 a series began in Earlsferry Town Hall. St Michael's was built to meet the demand from locals and visitors alike and the formal dedication by the Bishop of St Andrews took place on 4 July 1905.


The building is representative of the early 20th century work of Spiers and Company iron foundry who were Glasgow’s foremost exponents of prefabricated building in Scotland during the period. Iron churches were available in various sizes and patterns and could be ordered from the company catalogues. Once relatively common, it is now unusual to find such a building being used for its intended purpose. The distinctive octagonal window is a feature repeated in similar churches by this company including “The Mill Shop”, Fort Augustus and the Church Hall at St. John’s Selkirk.


St Michael's interior
St Michael's interior
St Michael's exterior
St Michael's exterior
St Michael's apex
St Michael's apex
Elie shore
Elie shore
St Michael's front view
St Michael's front view
St Michael's gate
St Michael's gate
Elie from Ruby Bay
Elie from Ruby Bay
Elie West Bay
Elie West Bay
Elie Beach visitscotland Richard Campbell
Elie Beach visitscotland Richard Campbell

Contact Us

St John the Evangelist, Pittenweem         Scottish Charity no. SC010982
St Michael & All Angels, Elie                      Scottish Charity no. SC005954

Churches in the Diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane

Copyright © All Rights Reserved