top

Welcome to our Churches

These are the Episcopal Churches in our communities offering authorised services in line with the Anglican Communion.

Our tradition in Scotland goes back many centuries.
 


 
St. John the Evangelist, Pittenweem St. Michael & All Angels', Elie

 

The Church of St John the Evangelist is situated in the centre of Pittenweem, on the site of the 14th century Augustinian Priory, of which the grade 1 listed Gatehouse remains.  It was built as a chapel in 1805, but has been enlarged and beautified on several occasions since then.   The 16th century Great House nearby was the Rectory in the past. It's 'Undercroft' is used for occasional church business.

At our Sunday Eucharist, we use the 1982 Scottish Liturgy.  Music is important in St John's and we sing various settings composed by our organist, Ursula Ditchburn.  On first Sunday of Advent we have an ecumenical Service led by the Priory Singers, a local choir and at Christmas time we have extra services, such as 9 Lessons & Carols, During Easter Holy Week there are daily services of contemplation and reflection.

The church has disabled access, toilet and an excellent sound system.  Gas central heating has recently been installed, making the church  warm and even more welcoming.

The usual time of Sunday worship is 11.30am

The congregation of St John's is drawn from the coastal villages and agricultural hinterland. We have about 20 regular communicants.   A few of our members are housebound or resident in care homes.

 Scottish Charity no. SC010982


St Michael's Church is an interesting survival, a “tin tabernacle” built of wood clad with a corrugated material. Although it is over 100 years old, the building is in good repair. Everyone who enters is surprised at its pleasant peaceful atmosphere. The church will seat 100. There is a small vestry and a few years back we installed a small disabled toilet and built a ramp up to the door.

Sunday worship at Elie is at 9.45, and mostly we use 1982 Scottish Liturgy. At regular intervals we celebrate the Eucharist from the 1929 Scottish Prayer Book. The average attendance is around 15 members each week with 35 on the roll. We celebrate ecumenical services with local Church of Scotland parish on a regular basis.


We are a friendly, welcoming church with a good atmosphere and sound finances. Our present rector has greatly helped to foster this and we look forward to building on her success, reaching out to the community and visitors emphasising our role as one of the two Anglican churches in the East Neuk of Fife - a place of prayer and fellowship.

Scottish Charity no. SC005954

 

footer

Powered by Buzzweb