When Elie and Earlsferry developed as a major holiday resort in the later years of the 19th century, Summer Mission services were held from time to time, and in 1904 a series began in Earlsferry Town Hall. St Michael's was built to meet the demand from locals and visitors alike and the formal dedication by the Bishop of St Andrews took place on 4 July 1905.
The building is representative of the early 20th century work of Spiers and Company iron foundry who were Glasgow’s foremost exponents of prefabricated building in Scotland during the period. Iron churches were available in various sizes and patterns and could be ordered from the company catalogues. Once relatively common, it is now unusual to find such a building being used for its intended purpose. The distinctive octagonal window is a feature repeated in similar churches by this company including “The Mill Shop”, Fort Augustus and the Church Hall at St. John’s Selkirk.